Male Yeast Infection
“Doc look at that test result again ,are you sure it’s mine “Mr.Uche asked shocked..
I am a man with penis ,where is the yeast infection coming from, I thought “Yeast Infection” is a “Feminist Thing”.. He continued
Me: I will explain better, so can we talk “MALE YEAST INFECTION” then…
-Many people believe that “Yeast Infection” affects only women but the fact is it can affect anyone…including men like Mr.Uche.
-Male Yeast Infection is called PENILE YEAST INFECTION.
Penile means penis, so PENILE YEAST INFECTION is a yeast infection found around the penis.
Yeast infection in both male and female is caused by a fungus called “CANDIDA”
A small amount of Candida is found in various parts of the body and it causes no harm to the body but when there is an overgrowth of this fungus in any area of the body it causes “YEAST INFECTION”
The fungi enjoys moist environment and that’s one of the reasons it’s found in the female vagina.
Candida is commonly found in the mouth, skin, digestive system and the vagina.
CAUSES OF MALE YEAST INFECTION
- Having unprotected sex with a partner having yeast infection
- Poor personal hygiene (Penis Hygiene) as moist dirty genitals are breeding grounds for the fungi
- .Uncircumcised penis has folds that form breeding ground for these fungi when left unwashed.
- Obese/Overweight people sweat a lot especially genital area which leads to breeding of the fungi
- It’s found in people with prolonged antibiotics use.
- It’s also found in people with weak immunity (Like in HIV) and people with uncontrolled diabetes.
SYMPTOMS OF MALE YEAST INFECTION
- Burning or itching around the tip of the penis and foreskin
- White lumpy discharge that smells bad
- Sore/wound around the fore skin
- Difficulty Urinating
- Difficulty pulling back the foreskin (In Uncircumcised)
- No sexual contact with a partner that has yeast infection
- Condom use
- Cleaning and drying your penis well
- Managing your diabetes if you have one
- Losing weight if obese
- If uncircumcised, clean under the foreskin with soap and water always.
So in summary, yeast infection is not just peculiar to women, it can also be found in men, even though uncommon but its easily treatable.
So self-examine yourself today and book yourself an appointment with your doctor
Written by: Dr. Remi